- Changing patterns of teenage pregnancy: population based study of small areas.Br Med J. 2001; 323: 199-203
- The long-run labour market consequences of teenage motherhood in Britain.London School of Economics and Political Science, London2001 (p. 35)
Social Exclusion Unit. Teenage pregnancy; 1999 (Report cm 4342).
Teenage Pregnancy Unit. Statistics—national and local authority conception statistics. http://www.dfes.gov.uk/teenagepregnancy/dsp_content.cfm?pageid=245 accessed 14/12/05; 2004.
- Systematic review of sexual risk among pregnant and mothering teens in the USA: pregnancy as an opportunity for integrated prevention of STD and repeat pregnancy.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 60: 661-678
- Sexual behaviour in Britain: early heterosexual experience.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1843-1850
The UK Collaborative Group for HIV and STI Surveillance. Mapping the issues: HIV and other sexually transmitted infections in the United Kingdom: 2005: Health Protection Agency, 2005.
Office of National Statistics. New episodes of genital chlamydia: by sex and age, 1995–2001: Social Trends 33, 2001.
Office of National Statistics. New episodes of gonorrhoea: by gender and age, 1995–2000: Social Trends 32; 2001.
Office of National Statistics. Population Trends 121: HMSO; 2005.
- Opportunistic screening for genital chlamydial infection. II: Prevalence among healthcare attenders, outcome, and evaluation of positive cases.Sex Transm Dis. 2003; 79: 22-27
- Ignorance about chlamydia among sexually active women — a two centre study.Hum Reprod. 1999; 14: 1131-1135
- The relationship between pregnancy and sexual risk taking.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 174: 1033-1036
- Predicting pregnancy risk in women attending an STD clinic.Sex Transm Dis. 2001; 29: 491-496
- Pregnant adolescents at risk: sexual behaviours and sexually transmitted disease prevalence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188: 63-70
- AIDS risk behaviors, knowledge, and attitudes among pregnant adolescents and young mothers.Health Educ Behav. 1997; 24: 613-624
- High postpartum rates of sexually transmitted infections among teens: pregnancy as a window of opportunity for prevention.Sex Transm Infect. 2003; 79: 469-473
- The adolescent parent — a fifteen year longitudinal study of school age mothers and their children.J Adolescent Health Welf. 1997; 10: 17-25
- Consultation patterns and provision of contraception in general practice before teenage pregnancy: case–control study.Br Med J. 2000; 321: 486-489
- Teenage sexual intercourse and pregnancy.Arch Dis Child. 1988; 63: 373-379
- Teenage pregnancy and risk of adverse perinatal outcomes associated with first and second births: population based retrospective cohort study.Br Med J. 2001; 323: 476-479
Office for National Statistics. Abortion statistics: legal abortions carried out under the 1967 Abortion Act in England and Wales, 2001: Tables 5 and 17.
Office for National Statistics. Abortion statistics: legal abortions carried out under the 1967 Abortion Act in England and Wales, 1991:Tables 1, 6 and 22.
- Young people's perceptions of contraception and seeking contraception advice.Department of Health, London2001
- Interventions to reduce unintended pregnancies among adolescents: systematic review of randomised controlled trials.Br Med J. 2002; 324: 1426-1435
- A relative risk-based, disease-specific definition of sexual abstinence failure rates.Health Educ Behav. 2001; 28: 10-20
- Abstinence-based programs for prevention of adolescent pregnancies. A review.J Adolescent Health. 2000; 26: 5-17
- Long-term outcomes of an abstinence-based, small-group pregnancy prevention program in New York City schools.Fam Plann Perspect. 2000; 32: 237-245
World Health Organisation. Selected practice recommendations for contraceptive use, 2002. p. 8 [Table 1].
International Planned Parenthood Federation. Statement on dual protection against unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. http://content.ippf.org/output/ORG/files/6555.pdf, 2000.
World Health Organisation. Integrating STI management into family planning services: what are the benefits? WHO/RHR/99.10, 1999.
- Antenatal HIV testing: a study of midwives’ views and experiences.Dept. of Midwifery, City University, London2001
- Promoting teenage sexual health: an investigation into the knowledge, activities and perceptions of gynecology nurses.J Adv Nurs. 2001; 36: 246-255
- A 6-month pilot of a collaborative clinic between genitourinary medicine services and a young persons’ sexual health clinic.J Fam Plan Reprod Health Care. 2003; 29: 40-42
Swann C, Bowe K, GM, Kosmin M. Teenage pregnancy and parenthood: a review of reviews. Evidence briefing: NHS Health Development Agency, 2003.
- Home visiting by paraprofessionals and by nurses: a randomized controlled trial.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 486-495
- A village would be nice but it takes a long-acting contraceptive to prevent repeat adolescent pregnancies.Am J Prevent Med. 2001; 21: 60-65
- Effect of prenatal and infancy home visitation by nurses on pregnancy outcomes, childhood injuries, and repeated childbearing: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Med Assoc. 1997; 278: 644-652